April 6, 2015

On the verge of waving the white flag

Today was a big day!

I started out by going for my big blood draw for the ten million tests at 8am. Angel came back to get me around 8:10 and said that she had to get some extra vials from upstairs but didn't want me to sit in the waiting room wondering where she was. So instead I got to wait in the draw room. When she returned she mentioned that there was a test for which she had never drawn and she needed to find out what she needed so it would be a couple more minutes.

I think we finally got started around 8:35 and I was seriously scared by the amount of vials I saw. 26 vials and 20 minutes later, I was merrily on my way and surprisingly not feeling queasy at all. Woohoo!

Before I went back, Ellen came out to let me know that they had spoken with the pathology lab and they do in fact have the baby. YES! They told her that it typically takes 3-4 weeks to get the results so we should get them fairly soon I would think.

I killed some time by going to my favorite store, Target, and walked out spending only $10. Could this day get any better?!

My ultrasound appointments were at 10:30 and I was supposed to drink 16 ounces of water 30 minutes before the renal exam. I decided to drink it around 9:50 and arrived at the office at 10:00. I filled out my paperwork and was amazed to be called back immediately.

The ultrasound tech was really nice and explained exactly what would happen.
  1. The renal ultrasound would be first.
  2. She would perform a transvaginal ultrasound.
  3. The radiologist assistant would come in and they would do the hysterosonogram together. She explained the procedure and said that it would be mildly uncomfortable but I shouldn't experience too much pain. They would insert a speculum, insert the catheter into the cervix, insert the transvaginal wand, and finally, slowly insert the saline (wow, sorry for all of the inserts).
Of course the renal exam was super easy and I got to empty my bladder right away. I'm a pro at transvaginal ultrasounds nowadays so it was extremely quick. And then she had me empty my bladder again. Clearly I didn't drink the water early enough because they got me in so early (I was done with the transvaginal ultrasound by 10:27).

The hysterosonogram was NOT fun. I have some choice words for whoever came up with that idea because, wow. I like to think that I have a fairly high pain threshold, especially since I've experienced 3 natural miscarriages, one at 9 weeks. But holy cramps! They were intense and sharp and it killed every time they inserted the saline.

At the end they were very excited to let me know that they didn't see a septum. Wait, WHAT? Immediately the tears came a flowing. They were both very sweet and tried to reassure me that I could still have a septum, but maybe they weren't able to see it from that perspective and maybe a HSG would show it better. I tried to hold it together but it was tough and I don't think they're used to comforting someone because they don't have an issue. The tech also mentioned that the left side of my uterus didn't really fill, so maybe there's an issue on that side.

I walked out of the office feeling so defeated and on the verge of waving my tiny white flag. I really, really thought this was our issue and that by the end of April, it would be gone. Now, I know this doesn't 100% mean that I don't have a septum and we're back to square one, but come on! Can't anything be simple?

Dr. M should have the results in 48-72 hours so I'm hopeful that I'll hear back from her by Friday with the next steps. A big part of me hopes that because she saw the septum during the diagnostic hysteroscopy (I've learned so many big and intimidating words in the past year, by the way) maybe that will overrule this ultrasound and we'll still continue on with surgery soon. But the logical side of me knows that's not very realistic and we'll probably have to do some more tests first. Sigh.

One of these days we will get a definitive answer!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man... That's awful. I know that desperation to put a name to what's wrong with you. After a couple of failed IUIs I did a repeat hysterosalpingogram (where they use the water to check the fallopian tubes) - I only had one tube at the time and the procedure hurt so bad I started crying. The tech said I had a blocked tube and that's why the IUIs hadn't worked. I was so happy. It wasn't my eggs! When I changed to the new RE, he checked the tube and again it hurt and again I cried but he said there was nothing wrong with my tube, it was open, and that it was just a painful procedure. So then I was back to thinking my genetic material was crap. It's all such a roller coaster.

    I'm really, really, really hoping you get answers soon. :: hugs ::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uncertainty is what is so difficult. I used to be patient and went with the flow. Not anymore. Thanks RPL!

      Delete