March 14, 2015

Part two

I went to sleep Thursday night around 8:30 and was awake by 10:30. I was feeling awful. I felt gassy and there was a lot of movement in my stomach. I felt nauseous and terrible. TMI ALERT!!



I held out until about 12:30 and then got sick. I'll spare the details, but it wasn't just vomiting. I ended up being awake the rest of the night. I told E to stay in bed because I could handle it myself and I am SUCH a baby when throwing up. I didn't want him to see that!

I just kept getting worse and worse and couldn't keep any water, ice, or ginger ale down (poor E had to run to Walmart at 5am. Yuck.) and it started to make me nervous. It was 5:30am by now and I wasn't supposed to eat or drink after 9am. I didn't know how I was going to make it until 5pm considering how weak I felt.

We decided to call Dr. M, who had given us her cell number the day before in case we needed anything, and she told us to go to the ER. She agreed that being severely dehydrated certainly wouldn't be good for surgery and she wanted to have some blood work run to make sure that it was okay to do the surgery that day. I took a quick shower and then we were off.

I felt so bad for E because I was whining and complaining so much. He was probably ready to leave me in the car on the side of the road because I was so annoying (just kidding) but he was truly great through it all.

We made it to the ER at 7:30am and we, thank God, were in a room by 8am. Thankfully they got me started on fluids pretty quickly and also gave me Zofran for the nausea. Just before 9am, I had my last sip of water with a pill to help with the diarrhea.

They transferred me to a room with an actual bed and started to run the labs. They were a bit slower than we would have liked and because of that we didn't end up going home at all. Had they gotten everything run and the results back by 12, we probably would've gone home to lay down for a few hours, but with it being 1:00 by the time I was ready to be discharged and check in for surgery at 3:00, it just didn't make sense. On top of that, I'm not the easiest person to draw blood from or insert an IV into, so the nurse was nice enough to call risk management. She proposed marking my ER room as "unavailable" and letting us stay in there so long as they didn't get too busy. This way, they wouldn't have to take the IV out and we wouldn't have to drive the half hour home. They allowed it, thankfully.

E went for a couple of walks outside because it was FREEZING in there and it was gorgeous outside and worked on some work emails. I pretty much just slept and filled in those who knew what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment