March 30, 2015

No news is NOT always good news.

Today was the day! I FINALLY had my post-D&C appointment and I was really looking forward to it. I was seriously giddy all morning.

I called E right after the appointment and summed up the appointment really well. "In true Crystal fashion, nothing can happen easily."

Here are the highlights:
  •  Dr. M is concerned because we don't have the pathology results from the baby. She was honest and said that we should've had them by now, she's put multiple calls into the lab and she still hasn't heard back. She's concerned that the lab may have lost the baby and no testing was done. Fingers crossed that isn't the case!
  • She mentioned that if we do get the results, she believes they will show that the baby was chromosomally normal. This is where we transitioned to the septum. She said the septum was rather large (I think she said something to the extent of it taking up about 3/4 of the "endometrial area" or something). She believes that this pregnancy didn't survive because there wasn't enough room for the sac and baby to grow. She thinks it literally ran out of room.
  • She's decided to do a hysterosonogram/saline infusion sonogram instead of the MRI. I was really excited when she told me the reason she decided on this. She said it typically takes 2-3 weeks for someone to get in for the MRI but the hysterosonogram could be done today! WOOHOO! Yes, please! 
  • She's going to get started on the surgery side of things (insurance, booking, etc.) in the meantime. The surgery will be performed by her and the senior doctor of the practice will be doing the ultrasound during the surgery. She's also booking me for a laparoscopic surgery just in case the ultrasound doesn't show everything well enough.
  • After the surgery, we'll have to wait 2-3 cycles before trying again.
  • She put me on birth control pills after the D&C so she said to continue them but to not take the placebo pills, just continue on with another pack. The purpose is to allow us to do the surgery right when we want. Apparently it's best to do the surgery soon after the start of a new cycle, so when we have the surgery scheduled, we can manipulate my period to allow for the best timing.
  • She believes the septum is the issue and didn't think the additional blood tests were necessary. I asked if we could still do them because I want to cover all of our bases and she agreed.
So after my appointment, I got the write up for the hysterosonogram (and a renal ultrasound...apparently uterine issues can sometimes signal kidney issues so she just wants to check things out), got blood drawn for HCG and my chromosome analysis and was on my merry way to the radiologist office.

Here's that saga:
  • I went over, showed the receptionist my paperwork and asked if I could get in today because I was willing to wait (Dr. M has sent dozens of patients over and they were able to get in the same day). The receptionist informed me that they do the renal ultrasound there but not the other.
  • I went back to Dr. M who tried calling over but she was put on hold for 10 minutes. So, she wrote "saline infusion ultrasound" on the paper and sent me over again. She said if she still insisted, we would find a different place because she wouldn't want them doing it.
  • I returned to the radiologist and was told the same. Sigh. She told me I would have to go to office A for the hysterosonogram and office B for the renal ultrasound. Awesome.
  • So I found my car and called the central scheduling office. That poor woman. She was probably so happy when she hung up with me.
  • I told her the tests that I needed and also said I understood that I would need to go to two different places and that was fine. She put me on hold and then returned to the line after 5 or so minutes. She was happy to inform me that there was one office that had a tech who did renal ultrasounds and another who did the hysterosonogram and that they were in the office at the same time a few times a week. Perfect!
  • She said the best time to do the saline ultrasound was between CD 7-11 so I would have to call back on CD 1 to get it scheduled. Uh oh. I explained my predicament (Dr. M wants me to continue with the BC pill and no placebos until surgery time). I ensured her that there was no chance of me being pregnant and that I would have my HCG results tomorrow. She seemed unsure but booked me anyway for next Monday. I gave her the date of my D&C and she said she would push the information onto the ultrasound tech. If the ultrasound tech is concerned or won't do the ultrasound then, I'll have to stop the birth control and call back on CD 1. AHHHH!
Like I said, nothing can happen easily. Best case scenario? I'll have the ultrasound next Monday, Dr. M will have the results within 3 days, and I'll have surgery during the month of April. Then we'd wait 2-3 cycles and as Dr. M said, hopefully we'll be in the second trimester at the end of 2015.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed that the best case scenario is what becomes reality!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a saga! Even though it was a lot of work and a lot of run around, it sounds like you're on the path to find SOMETHING out. Which is good.

    BTW, even if the testing says the baby was chromosomally normal, it doesn't mean that it was - there could have been maternal contamination. It's very common. My test results came back chromosomally normal female, but my RE was convinced that those were my cells, because everything else spoke to chromosomal abnormality.

    ReplyDelete